AMD continue to make great strides and put the CPU developing world — read: Intel — on notice. This past week AMD have announced the new AMD Ryzen PRO 5000 Series Mobile Processors. AMD has again changed the game by bringing the power and efficiency of “Zen 3” to a new range of processors for business laptops.
For me, watching AMD over the past 6 months has been amazing. The Ryzen 5000 Series Desktop Processors are, pardon the pun, game-changing. My inability to get my hands on one is clear indication that I’m not alone in that line of thought. With each step forward in processing technology, AMD are truly changing how computing happens on a mass scale. While Intel are still using 10nm technology and struggling to get their 7nm processors off the ground, AMD are perfecting their 7nm processors and are working away on future releases of 5nm processors. In the tech world, smaller is better, and, in this instance, more powerful, efficient, and just all round better!
Built to meet the demands of the modern workplace, AMD have developed the Ryzen PRO 5000 Series Mobile Processors to bring the performance and efficiency of the “Zen 3” core architecture to premium business laptops. AMD have combined next-level productivity and collaboration with enterprise-class security features in a CPU that will be available later this year in premium enterprise laptops from HP and Lenovo.
In current times, business computing is going mobile. Flexible working arrangements means taking your computer from home, to the office, or even on the road. AMD bringing more power, efficiency and goodness into notebooks and laptops for business needs is nothing short of a great thing. And with these new processors seeing high demand already by HP and Lenovo, expect to see the number of AMD-powered enterprise notebooks triple by the end of 2021.
The Presser Stuff: AMD Ryzen PRO 5000 Series Mobile Processors
AMD Ryzen PRO 5000 Series Mobile Processors are built to provide a powerful computing experience with security features for today’s demanding business environments.
- Leading performance for top-level productivity and collaboration
- The AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U processor, with 8 cores and 16 threads, delivers leadership CPU performance. The AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U processor offers up to 57% more multi-threaded performance than the competition.
- AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U processor is designed for the increased demand in productivity. The AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U processor offers up to 23% faster performance for home and office productivity than the competition.
- Enhanced power efficiency
- Built for all-day battery life and productivity. Along with the optimized 7nm “Zen 3” core architecture, the AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U processor offers up to 17.5 hours of battery life.
- Modern AMD PRO Technologies
- AMD PRO security provides a multi-layered approach to security features by embedding defenses at every level, from silicon through operating system. The AMD Memory Guard, exclusive to AMD Ryzen PRO processors and automatically enabled on Microsoft Secured-Core PCs, helps enable data and identity protection, while AMD Shadow Stack helps provide hardware enabled protection against malware attacks.
- AMD PRO manageability enables a full manageability feature set for simplified deployment, imaging and management that is compatible with modern IT infrastructures. The AMD Ryzen PRO processors offer full support for Microsoft Endpoint Manager to deliver a flexible and integrated cloud management solution.
AMD PRO business ready technologies bring enterprise-grade computing solutions designed for quality and reliability, in addition to platform longevity. AMD Ryzen PRO processors feature 18-months of planned software stability and 24-months of planned availability.
|Boost5/Base6 Frequency (GHz)||Cache (MB)||TDP (Watts)||Architecture|
|AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U||8C/16T||Up to 4.4 / 1.9 GHz||20 MB||15W||“Zen 3”|
|AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650U||6C/12T||Up to 4.2 / 2.3 GHz||19 MB||15W||“Zen 3”|
|AMD Ryzen 3 PRO 5450U||4C/8T||Up to 4.0/ 2.6 GHz||10 MB||15W||“Zen 3”|
Starting in Q2, 2021, enterprise customers will be able to purchase Ryzen PRO processor-based systems from top PC vendors including HP and Lenovo.
“The need for powerful, secure PCs that prioritize productivity and collaboration is more crucial than ever as we continue to embrace a more distributed and hybrid workforce,” said Andy Rhodes, global head, Commercial Systems and Display Solutions, HP. “HP is committed to empowering employees and IT teams everywhere, and our continued work with AMD leads with innovation to deliver powerful and secure computing experiences to keep people connected and productive at home, in the office, or both.”
“At Lenovo, we have a long tradition of providing our enterprise customers with innovative systems that deliver excellent performance and security and we are pleased to continue delivering on this promise with new laptops powered by the latest AMD mobile processors,” said Jerry Paradise, vice president, Global Commercial Portfolio & Product Management, Lenovo PCSD. “The latest Lenovo ThinkPad laptop lineup with AMD Ryzen PRO 5000 Series Mobile Processors will continue to deliver the incredible performance our business customers have come to expect from Lenovo and AMD.”