NewerTech delivered a plug and play eSATA to USB 3.0 adapter for superspeed data transfer to our office is recently and today we are having a quick look at it. The idea behind this little gizmo is that you can adapt any legacy eSATA drive to your USB 3.0 port to enjoy data transfer speeds up to 5Gb/s. So what’s the problem?
My problem was that I was expecting a device that would turn my eSATA port into a USB 3.0 port…. And that would have been handy as I have a number of USB 3.0 devices but only one USB 3.0 port on my laptop. And there is this eSATA port that gets unused whilst I am in desperate need for another fast port! So the label on the box can be interpreted in two different ways but the reality is that this one only facilitates hooking up your legacy drive with an eSATA port to an existing USB 3.0 port. Yes, this too can be handy and for only $29.95 it’s a device well worth considering.
Here are some more technical details:
The NewerTech eSATA to USB 3.0 adapter (for using an eSATA interfaced equipped external hard drive with computers offering the SuperSpeed USB 3.0 interface) offers benchmark proven performance of up to 247MB/s reads and 206.4MB/s writes for the fastest data transfer rates available with external data storage/backup.
Using the NewerTech eSATA to USB 3.0 Adapter with an eSATA interface equipped external drive to take advantage of high-bandwidth SuperSpeed USB 3.0 performance is an easy three step process:
1. Power on the eSATA equipped external drive.
2. Connect the NewerTech eSATA to USB 3.0 Adapter to an external drive via a standard eSATA cable.
3. Connect the NewerTech eSATA to USB 3.0 Adapter to the USB 3.0 port on the computer via included USB 3.0 cable.
• Supports SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.0) data rate up to 5Gb/s.
• Supports 2.5″ and 3.5″ eSATA hard disk drives and SSDs.
• Plug and Play, no software or driver installation.
• Backward compatible with previous versions of USB 2.0/1.1.
• Backward compatible with previous versions of eSATA devices (1.5Gb/s).
• Compliant with Serial ATA Specification Revision 2.6.
• Supports Hot-Swap.
• Dimensions: 2.25″ D x 2.5″ W x .75″ H (57.3mm x 64.2mm x 19mm)
• Weight: 1.0oz (28.35g)